Saturday, September 27, 2008

Yellowstone

Matt and I took a trip to Wyoming, Idaho and Utah about a week ago and it was so nice to be able to spend time with family. After a very long, but relatively smooth plane ride, we arrived safely in Utah much to Matt's relief. Flying is not something Matt enjoys in the least bit, and often dreads months or weeks before the actual event. About two hours after our arrival, we headed straight to Idaho to visit my cousins. The next day we headed to Yellowstone. On our way there we stopped in Jackson Hole and got a picture of the famous antler arch. We also got a great picture of the Teton Mountains. They have such a Dr. Seuss look about them!




Yellowstone was fun and just as stinky as I remember it. We went to Yellowstone when I was a kid and the terrible sulfur smell is the one thing that stands out it my mind. One of my favorite places we visited was painters point....or maybe it was painters pallet. Anyway, I thought it was beautiful. Here is a picture of Matt and I in front of the perfect view.










We didn't see the variety of wild life we would have liked to, but we did see buffalo, buffalo and more buffalo. We saw a baby wolf which was fun...no bears unfortunately. Of course when you go to Yellowstone, you have to get a picture of Old Faithful. I had my camera ready and I waited and waited for Old Faithful to go off and just when that moment came...what do you know, the battery dies. So I'm settling for a family picture in front of some random mud pot.
Our little vacation was fun, but a little too short. I wish we could have spent more time with the extended family, but we did enjoy the short time that we had with them. Hopefully we will be back soon!











6 comments:

Mike and Wendy said...

I can't believe you saw so many buffalo! That's the one thing we didn't see! Aren't they the 'mascot' of Yellowstone?! We saw tons of elk, a black bear, a mama grizzly and her cubs, but no buffalo. Anyway, we loved the Tetons - they are just beautiful! Glad you got to go home.

Sandgren Family said...

It was so nice to see you guys again! We really miss you! I love the pictures from Yellow Stone. Hopefully it won't be so long until the next visit. And next time you come I expect you to make me the raviolis.
Katrina

TheMcGrawFamily said...

That's funny you didn't see any bears, that's all we saw in Alaska, although we looked for everything else.

Rachel said...

Yellowstone really does smell pretty bad, but it's still pretty cool. Dan and I have a picture in that exact same spot by the waterfall (I can't remember what it's called). It really is the perfect view.

Rob said...

Wow, look at all these comments. Maybe if I move out of state more people will read my blog. Good to get an update into your lives. I love Wyoming, and I don't really know why.

LuAnne said...

Okay, so I am the proud owner of a pair of antlers (aquired through marriage of course), and I am wondering, can I send them to Yellowstone and they could add them to that arch. They would REALLY look good there, instead of in my attic, much to my Father's-in-law chagrin. We actually had to pay money to have it shipped from Utah and when I found out how much it cost, I suggested us making it smaller by cutting it into pieces. He laughed, I didn't, I was serious!